Author Topic: Chief Engineer's testing requests  (Read 5856 times)

shawn200

Chief Engineer's testing requests
« on: August 29, 2013, 05:47:10 PM »
Memo to the Captain and Executive Officer:
From Chief Engineer Pratt
Subject: power cupling test for 360 degree phaser turrent
Captain I am requesting the use of a shuttle craft to test the rig for a 360 degree phaser turrent, more specifically the redesigned power cupling which will allow the turrent to maintain power while roatateing. this is a simple test requireing me to hook the rig to the top of the shuttle craft temporarly and wireing it into the control circuits again temporarly and the use of a small laser. noting high powered or dangerous. it is a simple design and can give you the specs (as soon as the typist figures out how to come up with them)

Offline Exusiai

• Storyteller
  • Star Trek Cognoscente
    • View Profile
    • 1809 Rankin
Re: Chief Engineer's testing requests
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »
TO: Chief Engineer Pratt
FR: Commanding Officer
RE: Phaser Turret Modifications

Lieutenant, while I will always encourage members of my crew to take initiative on matters, and to pursue their own career advancement. , I'm going to have to ask you to forward this request to the Starfleet Advanced Design Bureau. For several reasons.

*The advent of the Collminated Phaser array has made the 360 degree turret design, such as the type eight phasers found on the Excelsior and Constitution class obsolete. 

*From my conversation with the XO about this, he made it seem as if you wished to apply this application towards the Type XII Pulse Cannons mounted on the ship. This would require an overall redesign of the ships primary hull, or even an overall redesign of the ship itself. These are not alterations that can be made to the existing space frame without substantial time in a spacedock. Personally I have no desire to turn this ship around.

*Still, the idea has merit. Feel free to look into it in your spare time, and make use of your personal holodeck time to look into it. I'm sure this would be something the Corps of Engineers would be willing to look into for future starship designs.

Solan Vidar, Captain

shawn200

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 02:10:48 AM »
Sir the eventual phaser turrent design will be for the cannons, I may not have been clear enough in my request and for the I apologize. what i am wanting to test is the redesigned power cupling for the new turrent not the turrent itself. I understand that putting weapon of that caliber on such a system would require a redesign of the ship to reenforce the areas where the turrents would be mounted. but that would be putting the cart before the horse so to speak if they could not be powered. so again what I am asking is for a shuttle I can slap a make shift turrent on so I can test the power cupling.

Thank you for the consideration.

Offline Exusiai

• Storyteller
  • Star Trek Cognoscente
    • View Profile
    • 1809 Rankin
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 04:01:43 AM »
Concidering where the Type XII Cannons are currently mounted

http://www.novasolaris.com/aurora/images/aurora/auroramsd.png

Just below the forward Torpedo Bays, I see no practical way to develop a turret system for the Type XII.

However, as I said feel free to pursue this in your free time, as a developmental upgrade for future classes of starships.